Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Tomatoes Are The Saving Grace In Salads

I find salads boring. They are one of those foods that is good for you, but who wants to eat one? The only reason I eat salads is for the zest that tomatoes bring. Especially when mixed with cucumbers and avocado.
Yesterday, I made myself a lentil-rice dish. But I had no pasta sauce. So I just added some basil and oregano and salt. The result? It tasted like cardboard. Not good.
Today I went to the store and stocked up on eight jars of pasta sauce. I just add a jar to my lentil-rice stews and I have something yummy.
From the Los Angeles Times:

While the tomatoes are cooking, start preparing the kushary. Clarified butter can be found at Trader Joe's and select gourmet markets. Harissa can be found at Middle Eastern groceries.
Roasted tomato sauce2 white onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup olive oil2 tablespoons chopped garlic1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme2 1/4 pounds tomatoes (about 12 plum), cored and chopped1 cup waterSalt1. In a medium, heavy-bottom pot, cook the onions in the olive oil over medium heat until they start to turn a deep brown, about 45 minutes, stirring frequently.2. Stir in the garlic and thyme and cook just until aromatic, 1 to 2 minutes.3. Add the tomatoes and water and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook until the tomatoes soften completely and begin to break apart, about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and cool slightly.4. Purée the tomato mixture in a blender until smooth. (Be careful not to fill the blender more than 1/3 of the way or steam may force the liquid to fly out of the blender. And always cover the lid with a towel when blending hot liquids to prevent splashes and spills.)5. Season to taste with salt and keep in a warm place until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment